Sunday, October 31, 2010

How to Approach Conferences

     Last week, I had my essay draft reviewed by three students. It was interesting to be on the side of the person being reviewed. While I knew this essay was not my "best" work and I certainly left room for improvement, I felt myself surprisingly sensitive to the remarks of other students. I don't think this is because I had especial pride in the work (while the essay was important, it's not like I poured my heart and soul into this two-page essay). Instead, I think we are naturally prone to sensitivity when it comes to being reviewed, especially in a setting where there is so clearly one person being reviewed and one person reviewing. This idea of "power," by itself, helps shape conferences and also molds attitudes for the person being consulted. This is problematic because it has nothing to do with the person's writing, ideas, or writing process.
     To help alleviate some of the constrains imposed by the "power struggle" naturally presented by a writing conference, I think we should be sure to do all the things we talked about in class. Greet the student and make small talk, make a connection with him or her, and make recommendations in a facilitative way in which the writer is left with significant power over his or her work. In a word, be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment