Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Consultant's Role

     A few hours ago I had a shadowing session, which I found to be my most fulfilling thus far. The student brought in a work of creative nonfiction for her English 103 class. The ideas presented in the paper were fairly solid, in my opinion. She needed help with grammar and needed to be more specific in numerous ways. She seemed to take our advice well. However, at the end of the session, she was fairly honest with us and expressed that she was probably more stressed about the paper after leaving. I don't think she was motivated to write, but saw our comments and ideas for improvement as demands for additional work and time spent on a paper she probably doesn't care that much about. I imagine, for her, this paper and all the other assignments in the class need to be completed as well as possibly, but in the scheme of things, they are not that important for a person taking four science and math classes, and one English class. And if this is what she's thinking, I think she's correct. Writing is obviously important, but the style of writing that is demanded of her will probably not be needed to great extent in her life. Thus, as writing consultants, I think we should not only accept but embrace the students trying to "get through" the work. As an English major, when I approach a math or science class that is difficult for me, I don't need academic resentment from people who think these are the most important classes. I'm sure they are - for other students and professors. Embracing the array of academic interests and not promoting an agenda are necessary, in my estimation. We are helping students grapple with academic arguments, not pursuing to make the students we consult with love our subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment