Monday, October 4, 2010

Consulting with a Grad Student

     Yesterday, I had my first legitimate shadowing session (as last week there was some scheduling confusion). We worked in a study room in B2 in the library - which I thought was an appropriately intimate setting. I was a bit surprised when the student walked in - she was a graduate student, probably old enough to be my mother. I was a bit intimidated. I was even more intimidated when she told us the paper she brought in is one she plans to submit for publishing, if things go well, she says. Within moments, though, I was relaxed by her conversational attitude and relatable complaints and ideas about university curriculum. As we went through he paper, we mostly focused on grammatical errors and basic structural issues. Her professor had already gone over the paper and highlighted areas that needed to be considered for some formal aspect. Her research was clearly done with much attention, but likely because she may have been out of school for some time, her grammar was not completely correct. She was very receptive to all the recommendations we made. While Chris, the consultant I am shadowing,did most of the talking, I was told to "chime in" whenever I had something to add. The student was also very engaging to us both. After she left, Chris told me that graduate students must be treated a bit differently. They are here completely of their own volition, and therefore, what they want is essentially what Chris recommends we give them. Overall, it was a very rewarding experience.

2 comments:

  1. First off, glad you finally got a chance to shadow! After reading your blog post I thought about a something very interesting that you brought up which is how universal grammatical mistakes are. I too would have been intimidated if someone as old as my mother walked into a consultation. However, your experience makes it apparent that no matter what we happen to be writing about or what level of writing we are doing, everyone makes the same mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been a really interesting experience. I wasn't very nervous giving some advice to the first year student I was helping last week, but I imagine working with a woman who was planning to publish her paper was a bit nerve wrecking.

    I think it says a lot that about our writing center that people who are interested in publishing are coming in to get their papers reviewed.

    ReplyDelete